Using Social Media in the Classroom, Empire x Education

Using Social Media in the Classroom
Should more teachers be using social media in the classroom? Moreover, what is the role of social media in education?

As a high school teacher I know how important it is to develop new and innovative strategies to connect to students.  I recently noticed the way in which my students interacted with each other regarding FOX's television show 'Empire'.

I teach Math and decided to use the show's statistics to reach my students in a more effective manner.  As one student put it, I am 'just not hip' therefore I have to use strategies like these in order to engage my students.

While designing the lesson I discovered an additional opportunity to reach my students: Empire is one of the most successful shows on television in terms of social media marketing and there are numerous charts available via Nielsen.

Social Media in the Classroom
Social Media in the Classroom

The information above was used to teach proportions and transformed into graphs.  Students were fully engaged and two students thanked me for providing the lesson after class.

Building Relationships with Students
Building Relationships with Students

The document above was used to teach my students the basics of Microsoft Excel.  Twitter was a major component of both lessons enabling me to see just how much students love social media!



Social Media in Education
The intersection of social media and education began with nervousness.  As opposed to developing ways to use the tool we have ignored the issue.  Schools have been neglectful regarding how they discuss social media with students and it is time to change.  Social media should not only be discussed it must be implemented into lesson plans in innovative ways.

The Advantages of Social Media for Students
So what are some of the advantages of social media for students? When teachers blend social media and education they begin building relationships with students.  Social media can get us fired therefore it is time to influence its usage by making it a component of the curriculum.

The ultimate goal of building relationships with students is not familiarity instead it is influence.  To influence students we must first gain their respect.  Developing lessons that involve social media enables educators to gain the respect required to teach students.

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Education Websites